Account Eligibility & Purge Information
Non-current faculty, staff, and student computing accounts will be targeted for purge based on the criteria below. Visit the Request An Account page for a description of accounts that are subject to automated account maintenance/purge.
- Students: Upon graduation or after not attending classes for three (3) quarters.
- Graduate students who have applied for and been accepted for a future quarter will not be targeted.
- Students working to complete projects after graduation MUST submit an Exemption Request.
- Faculty: After not having taught a class in four (4) months.
- Staff: When the Cal Poly Human Resources system reflects a non-current status.
- ASI/Foundation/Auxiliary: When they are no longer sponsored by their organization.
- Affiliated Persons: After the end date on the Affiliated Person Request Form on file. Affiliated Person Request forms must be submitted annually.
- Emeritus Persons: Upon their death. Accounts are not transferable to others.
- Club Accounts: When they are no longer recognized by ASI and are no longer in the Cal Poly Directory.
- Departments and Committees: When they are no longer officially sanctioned or recognized by the University.
Account Purge Process
- Three days after the account owner is no longer current in a Cal Poly Human Resources system, an email is sent to advise that Cal Poly computing accounts will be locked in two (2) weeks and deleted in four (4) weeks.
- Accounts will automatically be targeted throughout the year based on the eligibility requirements referenced above. This will be the only email notification that is sent.
- Also at this time, the Cal Poly Directory record will be suppressed.
- The computing accounts will be locked two (2) weeks after the person is ineligible and the initial email is sent.
- Accounts can be temporarily unlocked for “emergency” account management. To request this, contact the ITS Service Desk at 805.756.7000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Accounts are deleted two (2) weeks after they are frozen.
- Accounts that have been purged/deleted cannot be restored.
- Exemptions from purge can be requested using the Affiliated Person Request Form.
- Please note that Exemption/Affiliated requests require budget “chart field” information and administrative approval. You must plan ahead and submit a completed form to avoid service interruption.