Unlocking iPhones in Activation Lock Mode
Process takes up to 10 business days to unlock a device in activation lock mode by Apple, and if proof of purchase is needed then please allow an additional 5 working days for the Service Desk to process.
Documentation to have before call
Device’s Serial number (in device settings or back of the box), Cal Poly address, caller’s name and email address, and proof of purchase (scanned documentation of customer receipt & back of the box). IF you do NOT have the proof of purchase, please submit a service request through your Cal Poly Portal to request a copy of customer receipt for this specific cell phone/device.
NOTE: If the device was purchased directly from Apple, you do not need to provide any proof of purchase.
- If phone is unlocked then it is available to be re-activated.
- If phone is locked, please continue with steps below. You will need the serial number (found on back of device or back of box or in settings in device).
- Call Apple’s Education Line: 1-800-800-2775.
- Press 3 (technical support).
- Press 1 (product owned by school or institution).
- Provide your name and that you are from Cal Poly State University.
- Describe the issue; iPhone in Activation Lock mode needs to be removed.
- If Apple informs you that the iPhone has been claimed via iCloud as “LOST” please follow these steps, if not continue onto step 9.
- Take picture of the device itself, front and back.
- Send picture to your email to use as attachment to Apple.
- Provide device’s serial number (found on back of device or back of box or in settings in device).
- You will be given a case number by Apple.
- You will receive an email from them that looks like this:
Please review the Form below and complete or correct any needed information. Afterwards please copy and send to firstname.lastname@example.org using "Case Number - Cal Poly State University" as the subject, and attach any and all Proof of Purchase documents, unless confirmed by advisor. A reply will be sent within 10 business days.
To be considered valid, the receipt must include the following information:
1. Reseller’s name
2. Reseller’s address, phone number or website URL
3. Date of purchase when the product was originally sold
4. Product serial number, IMEI number or MEID number
The serial number can be typed or handwritten. If the reseller didn’t provide the serial number on the receipt, you can write the number on the receipt before you send it. For help finding your product’s serial number, see this article:
How to find the serial number of your Apple hardware product
To better assist you press this mail to link that will create a new email with body, subject, and mail address
Click Mailto Link
=========== Copy the Form Between the Dotted Lines as the Body =========== UNLOCK AUTHORIZATION STATEMENT: I [YOUR NAME] representing [BUSINESS/INSTITUTION NAME] authorize Apple, Inc. to unlock the devices listed.
WERE THE DEVICES USED BY EMPLOYEES / STUDENTS?:
WHY IS THE BUSINESS / INSTITUTION UNABLE TO REMOVE FIND MY IPHONE ACTIVATION LOCK?:
CASE NUMBER: 100001879165
PRODUCT SERIAL NUMBER:
PRODUCT IMEI/MEID: (Cellular devices only)
=========== Copy the Form Between the Dotted Lines as the Body ===========
The Apple Support Team
- Compose email, using device’s customer receipt information to fill out Apple’s template, and include it as the body of the email.
IMPORTANT! Remember to provide the information in the brackets below:
UNLOCK AUTHORIZATION STATEMENT: I, [YOUR NAME] representing [CAL POLY STATE UNIVERSITY, SAN LUIS OBISPO] authorize Apple, Inc. to unlock the devices listed.
- Send email to email@example.com with customer receipt and back of the box attached as proof of purchase.
- Allow 10 business days before case is fully processed and you will receive a confirming email from Apple.