Central Unix FAQ
- How do I create a UNIX account?
- When can new students activate their UNIX accounts?
- Why won't my file transfer/upload work?
- What is my quota on UNIX?
- Why am I unable to telnet into UNIX?
- Why can't I connect to Central UNIX using Secure Shell or Secure FTP?
- How do I change account ownership (i.e. department librarian account)?
- How can I change the name on my account?
- How soon after I leave Cal Poly will my account be deleted?
- How can I keep my account from being deleted?
- UNIX commands?
- How do I connect to polylog1 with a Macintosh?
- How do I update email aliases in UNIX?
- What type of web pages are available?
- How do I set permissions for a web page? (note we do not offer support for web pages)
- How do I transfer files to UNIX?
- Why is my web page not viewable?
Students accounts are created automatically as soon as the student pays their fees and enrolls in at least one unit of classes. They can activate their accounts via the web at http://my.calpoly.edu by accessing the Cal Poly Password Manager.
State faculty, staff, and departments must submit the New Account Request Form to the ITS Service Desk.
Clubs have to submit the Club New Account Request Form to the Service Desk.
When can new students activate their UNIX accounts?
Incoming students can activate their Unix accounts at http://my.calpoly.edu by accessing the Cal Poly Password Manager as soon as they have paid their fees and enrolled in at least one unit at Cal Poly.
If you are trying to transfer files to your Central UNIX account and are receiving an error, one of two situations may be the likely reason for the problem. If these do not correct the problem, contact the ITS Service Desk at email@example.com or (805) 756-7201.
You are not using a SecureFTP method to upload your files. See Uploading to Central UNIX for more information.
You are over your storage quota. See Checking your Central UNIX quota for more information.
Each user account is allocated 50MB of space to store their files. If you are over quota you will not be able to add new files until you remove existing files currently stored in your Central UNIX account.
To check your usage volume:
- Log on to Central UNIX
- At the prompt enter: quota -v yourusername
This will look something like:
SSH Secure Shell 3.2.9 (Build 283)
Copyright (c) 2000-2003 SSH Communications Security Corp - http://www.ssh.com/
This copy of SSH Secure Shell is a non-commercial version.
This version does not include PKI and PKCS #11 functionality.
Last login: Tue Dec 5 19:07:36 2006 from 71-93-39-16.sta
Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.9 Generic May 2002
Your terminal type is vt100.
bash-2.05$ quota -v juser
Disk quotas for juser (uid 1234567):
Filesystem usage quota limit timeleft files quota limit timeleft
/export/home 15474 50000 52000 61 5000 5200
Effective October 16, 2006 Secure Shell and Secure FTP connections are required on the Central UNIX System. Telnet and passive FTP are not allowed. To download Secure Shell, log into the My Cal Poly Portal and go to the Technology tab. On the Software Download Channel choose your operating system and download Secure Shell.
- Hostname = polylog1.calpoly.edu
- Username = Cal Poly Username (May be different than Central UNIX login)
- Password = Cal Poly Password (May be different than Central UNIX password)
- Have Secure Shell profiles been updated?
Your ISP may not have reverse name lookup turned on and therefore you will not be validated by the Cal Poly system and the window will close immediately after opening. You will need to contact your ISP and ask them to turn on reverse name lookup.
*Note: Please refer to the Uploading to Central UNIX website for more details.
How do I change account ownership (i.e. department librarian account)?
Requests to change the Department Librarian information must be made on a signed, hard copy memo from the Department Head and forwarded to the Service Desk.
You must complete an Account Change Form. [pdf]
Please visit Leaving Cal Poly - Account Management Information for more details.
Please visit Account Eligibility and Purge Information for more details.
Refer to Basic UNIX Commands for Web Work.
Please refer to Connecting to Polylog1 with a Macintosh. [pdf]
Please refer to Department Alias Instructions. [pdf]
Please visit Email Delivery Address Update Instructions for more details.
The Website Hosting Matrix [pdf] may help you decide which type of webpage you may require. After looking at the Website Hosting Matrix go to the Web Authorizing Resource Center for more detailed information.
Refer to Central UNIX Websetup for all web page creation info.
Use a Secure FTP client to transfer files from your local computer to UNIX. You may download SFTP software from the My Cal Poly Portal > Technology > Software Download Channel. For more information please visit the Uploading to Central UNIX website. If you still have problems, see: Why won't my file transfer/upload work?
You either set permissions incorrectly or have not saved your primary file correctly (index.html).